Sunday, May 18, 2008

Packing Lunches

Sometimes I go crazy.

Like when Danny says "Forget the laundry, let's go play."

My insides start to run around inside of me like my own personal tornado and usually that makes me start to cry and kick things. "I want to play outside with you, but having no clean clothes to wear on Monday also makes me want put my fist through the door."

I am a working wife, and I just can't do it all.

There, I said it. I feel very proud of myself for being able to admit to ya'll that I don't have it all together. Sometimes keeping up with a job and a home is enough to make me go to bed at 8 pm, but I can't go to bed because there's just too much to do!

Making lunches every night before we went to bed started having a terrible affect on me, and therefore it started having an affect on our marriage. A tornadic affect in your marriage is never a good thing. It gets the sheets all twisted up.

Every night we would debate whether we would do the responsible, adult thing and make lunches or whether we would spend some quality time taking a walk or eating ice cream. Sometimes all that got accomplished was a good cry on my end because I just couldn't get it all done and a good hug on Danny's end because he has great shoulders for that sort of thing.

Finally, Danny decided that when we stub our toe on something, then we need to move that something so we don't keep hurting ourselves. It's stupid to keep stubbing your toe on the same thing over and over and over again. And somehow we kept stubbing our toe every night when we'd try to pack the lunches.

So the Sunday afternoon lunch-fest was born. It's the greatest idea that involves sliced bread.

I make enough sandwiches (both turkey & cheese or peanut butter & jelly) for both of us for the week (Monday through Friday):

I pack those up and freeze each of the sandwiches in ziploc bags.

Here's the trick: Don't put any mayo/mustard on the turkey & cheese sandwiches and they won't get soggy when thawing. Put peanut butter on both pieces of bread so the jelly can't soak into the bread and they won't get soggy when thawing.

Next, I bring out all the things we like to eat with lunch and for snacks.

I put enough single servings of fruit, crackers, carrots, cookies, etc. into ziploc bags for each of us to have several a day. I pre-wash and cut everything that won't spoil/turn brown - carrots are peeled and cut into sticks, grapes are washed, celery is cut into sticks and packed with a little container of peanut butter, etc. Apples, pears, mangos, etc. are left whole.

I then bust out 10 paper bags and label them for me and Danny for every day of the week (these have been re-used for multiple weeks).

All the snack items go into these bags and then all the bags go onto a shelf in the fridge.

When we wake up in the morning we just grab a brown bag from the refrigerator and a sandwich out of the freezer. It's fast, easy and efficient.

No more internal tornadoes each night; no more debates on whether to hang out or make lunches - we can always hang out. It's a beautiful when you have food to eat AND you get to relax with your husband.

5 comments:

Anonymous May 20, 2008 9:20 PM  

Laura, you my dear have discovered the way that mom's of multiple children do lunches. I love uncrustables (the frozen round pb & j sandwiches from smuckers) because I can reach in and grab one, grab a juice box, grab a cracker bag, and a cup of fruit and lunch is made! Voila!
I have to admit that I haven't ever tried turkey and cheese, but that is a great idea! I always worry about keeping meat cold enough that it doesn't spoil in the brown bag. What do you do for that? Ice pack? or does it stay fresh b/c it's frozen first? Good job girl!

Unknown May 22, 2008 3:52 PM  

The brown bags work for us because I leave my lunch in the fridge at work until my tummy growls. Danny usually shoves his brown bag in an insulated cooler to keep things cool, although he's been known to eat worse things than room-temperature turkey! :-)

The Taylors May 23, 2008 8:50 AM  

I totally understand where you're coming from!! We try to do the Sunday afternoon lunch making but it doesn't always happen. I'm not a big sandwich person so it usually ends up being spaghetti in a tupperware kind of thing.

Glad you guys found a great compromise!!

By the way, I'm spending this whole weekend learning everything I can about the canon 40d. I've already got some shoots lined up. Let me know if you have any good tips! :)

Ashley May 28, 2008 7:08 PM  

great idea! thanks for the tip.

oh, and just letting you know my new blog site (with my new name)is here if you wanted to update your link!

http://absaloms.blogspot.com/

Kacie June 10, 2008 8:23 PM  

That's so efficient! I tend to pack my husband's lunches either the night before or in the morning, since I try to send leftovers to him.

I've never made a bunch of sandwiches at once, but I should give that a shot.

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP