Thursday, November 25, 2010

Why Are There SO Many Different Types of Cloth Diapers?

Researching cloth diapers online is BEYOND overwhelming and sometimes even frustrating. I couldn't tell the differences between all-in-ones, pocket diapers, covers, prefolds, etc from pictures online.

If you are thinking about cloth diapers, I would suggest finding a friend who can show you the different kinds of cloth diapers in person or visit a cloth diaper store.

Diaper stores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area:

I'll go over the diapers we use - hopefully my pictures will help.

I had two criteria for our cloth diapers.

  1. I wanted one-size diapers. I didn't want have to buy different sizes as Cannon grew. With one-size diapers all I have to do is adjust the diapers (either using snaps or elastic) as he grows. This meant I could buy LESS diapers!
  2. I also wanted diapers with snaps, NOT velcro. I read too many reviews online about velcro wearing out, pilling, gunking up, and just not working very well on cloth diapers.

With that in mind, we bought/received (from left to right): Flip CoversFuzziBunz One-Size, and Baby Kangas.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

All of these diapers can be purchased with inserts, but I also bought extra prefold diapers to use as stuffing.

Fromt left to right: prefold diaper, FLIP insert, and a generic insert.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

There are two ways to use a prefold diaper.  You can do an Angel Wing Fold which I used alot with a Snappy when Cannon was little:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Or you can just do a simply Tri-Fold, which I use now that Cannon is bigger:


I use the inserts in the FLIP covers during the day, the prefolds in the FLIP covers at night (prefolds soak up more) and always use the inserts in the pocket diapers.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

As you can see below, the FLIP cover and Baby Kanga diapers both adjust by snaps, which I LOVE!

The Fuzzi Bunz are adjustable by elastic inside the diaper which is a little hard to manipulate since it involves small buttons and little button holes in the elastic. The other thing that annoys me about the Fuzzi Bunz is that the loose/extra elastic often comes out in the wash and I'm forever stuffing it back into the diaper. I've left it hanging out in the picture below.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug




Okay, you're ready to buy some cloth diapers? Where do you start? I'm glad you asked. I'll give you my two cents on what you should purchase starting out in the next post.

Need some more resources? Check these links out:
Miss the first posts in the "cloth diaper" series?

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP