Friday, August 25, 2006

Happy 1st Day of the 2nd Year of the Rest of Our Life

To the Love of my Life -

The year has been a journey.

I've cried and you've held me. I've been angry and you listened to me. I've been hurt and you've counseled me. I've been ecstatic and you've rejoiced with me. I've been rude, prideful, and selfish and you've forgiven me. I've been moody and you've humored me out of it with your antics. I've been unlovable and you loved me all the more.

A year ago I thought I knew you.
* I thought I knew what it was like to live with a boy (I have brothers, you know).
* I thought I understood what the books meant when they said a man can only do one thing at a time.
* I thought I could meet your love languages without half trying.

A year ago I thought I knew myself.
* I thought I could cook.
* I thought I was flexible.
* I thought I was adventuresome.
* I thought I could be a follower.

Well, with a year's experience under my belt I realize that I "thought" wrong.

I've realized that I really didn't know that much about you; the discovery has been a beautiful process. I've discovered that boys are messy, noisy, smelly, and scratchy (I'm starting a shave that beard campaign!). I've stopped believing that you hear me when I talk while you're working on the computer, reading a book, watching tv, cleaning the dishes, driving or changing out of work clothes. I've learned that I should talk to you when you're looking me in the eyes, and even then sometimes I should repeat myself. I've concluded that you need alot more hugs throughout the day than I do, so I will hug you even when I think we've hugged enough.

I've learned that a dozen recipes is not enough to get through the month - a wife needs more, many, many more! I've concluded that when I said I "would travel," I wasn't really being serious. I really didn't want to see the world, if the world was far from family and friends. I've resolved that my adventurous spirit has been stretched practically to the limit, but if you want me to stretch it more, I will. Just like the book titles, I really did marry "adventure."

So, as we begin the 2nd year of the rest of our lives, thank you for loving me. Thank you for taking me all over the place. Thank you for choosing to have me by your side while you explore new jobs, new places and new adventures. Thank you for taking care of me, my car and all the stuff that comes with me. Thank you for being a GREAT husband.

I've thought alot about how much I love you and how wonderful you are . . . and I definately have not "thought" wrong.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP