Saturday, September 09, 2006

Aggie Math & A Texas-sized Truck


1 Fender Bender = 1 Hole in the Bumper = 1 Bad Radiator = 1 Cool Rental Truck = New Wheel Bearings & Brakes

You do the math.

Some of you might not know that I was in a fender bender a few weeks ago (it wasn't my fault, not my fault, I WAS NOT AT FAULT!). A man ran a stop sign and we collided at the frightening speed of 20 mph. There was a hole in my bumper and a big dent in his minivan.

Not a big deal, just a nuisance . . . or so I thought. Well, for those of you still in college, let me impart some wisdom. Real-life is crazy and never that simple.

Three days after the little "accident" my car overheated, the oil pressure gauge went crazy, and I was stuck, sitting in a cemetary, waiting until Danny could get off of work to pick me up.

Stuck in a cemetary you say?! Don't worry - I can keep myself busy anywhere. I found the youngest person, the oldest person, the weirdest names, and the couples buried side-by-side, all while waiting for my knight in shining armor to rescue me.

The first mechanic boldly informed us that three things were wrong with my little Jeep and we basically needed to give him $800 to replace the radiator.

After decided to get a second opinion, we towed the car to the other side of town. This second mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the radiator, other than it needed a new cap. However, he told us that we did need to replace the wheel bearings and brakes.

Goodnight Nurse. A bad radiator, bad wheels, who knew - will someone just give me a new car and an honest mechanic?

During all this tango of car problems, I was getting a rental car. To make a long and funny story, short and funny, Enterprise tried giving me a full-size sedan, then a compact car, and then another full-size, but all were rented out minutes before he tried to give them to us. This left them them with no choice but to give me the biggest, baddest, newest Ford 150 they had on the lot.

This Texas girl was in Texas heaven, driving a truck that could only be the size of Texas. Four doors, brand new, paper license plate, new car smell, and 349.7 miles on the tripometer!

I didn't know such wonderful trucks existed. I thought I loved my Jeep. Well, it just got dumped. I converted to being a truck lover so fast, you would have thought I'd never driven anything else my whole life.

Do trucks this wonderful just float above the payment? Cars swerved out of my way as I came barrelling down the road. And I didn't know a tripometer could go so low as 349.7 miles.



I mean, this is like a car, a truck, an SUV, and A HOUSE, all in one. I could live in this thing. All of my groceries, moving boxes and future family could fit in the back seat ALONE.

My brother, Matthew, is probably enviously drooling and simultaneously bawling all over his keyboard, as he reads this. He would probably give his right arm just to drive this for a day.

Well, an that's all the time I had to enjoy this dream truck, a day. My car is now back and running smoothly with a new radiator cap, new brakes, new wheel bearings, and new rotors.

And while it's not I truck, I love my little Jeep. With it's messed up wiring (the flashers come on when I turn my left blinker on, and sometimes you just have to bang on the dashboard to get the spedometer to work).

1 comments:

Anonymous October 01, 2006 4:48 PM  

You can set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille
It's got an eight foot bed that never has to be made
You know if it weren't for trucks we wouldn't have tailgates
I met all my wives in traffic jams,
You know there's something women like about a Pickup Man - Joe Diffie

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP