Monday, October 23, 2006

SC State Fair 2006

Ah, the South Carolina State Fair. I was so excited and ready. Ready to eat funnel cakes, pizza, and ice cold Dr. Pepper. Ready to walk through aisles of homemade jam, amateur photography, very large bunny rabbits, anrgy chickens, and livestock. Yes, livestock.

Don't laugh. I knew that my Future-Farmer-of-America, I-majored-in-Agricultural-Development husband was going to drag me to see livestock at least once during this fair. In my personal opinion, everyone should stay far away from livestock - it smells. Just the word by itself . . . livestock . . . conjurs up images of fly-swatting tails, hay, and driving across Texas and only seeing cows for miles and miles. *And this is me scrunching up my face and holding my nose.*

Well, we did see some cows. In fact we even sat down on some cold bleachers and watched cows parade by, stomping and snorting. We walked through aisles of big cow stalls and were enlightened as Danny described the different breeds.

Here's the picture I took of the cattle. I tried to include the flowers so you wouldn't focus on the fact that you're looking at the rear ends of cows. Enjoys the mums.

It was also rumored that there was to be "fried coke" at the fair this year. Fried Coke?

What could be this shockingly interesting and yet disgusting-sounding? We did not have such an atrocity at the Texas State Fair (the only other State Fair I’ve ever been to). I shuttered at the thought of trying such a thing, but couldn't imagine not trying it - just to see the look on my friends’ faces back home when they heard that I was so brave.

Sadly, however, there was no fried coke to be found. Only Pepsi products and Elephant Ears - very large pieces of flat, fried dough, topped with a fruit filling and powdered sugar.

We did find the rides. And we found that we're getting to old to stomach the rides. Danny rode on a twisty-spinning version of the "Big Boat" that swings back and forth.

Here's a picture to help you out. Now, just imagine Danny and his friend, Matthew, screaming at the top of their lungs while this pendulum swings back and forth and the seats spin around.

Then, all four of us rode the "Power Surge." The ride spun around as it rose up into the air, until it went from spinning like a carousel to spinning like a ferris wheel. And then your individual seat spun right and left as you twisted around in a big circle.

I was screaming my head off and enjoying the sunset from the top, when I hear Danny yelling, "vomit!" I wanted to slap him, but my arms were strapped down. What was he thinking?

We get off the ride laughing and shaking.

Danny turned ghostly. I ran for the hills. "Please don't throw-up!" I yelled from afar.

I am such a tender, caring wife. One hint of sickness, one little gag, and I am gone. You see, I am so sympathetic that I will throw-up right there with you - just to make you feel better about losing your stomach. I don't like anyone to feel uncomfortable. So, I just join in the misery.

Danny's so strong. He kept his food down, and we finished out the fair with a Fried Milky Way. Here's proof that he survived the rides.We thought about entering the drawing to win a free pork loin. I could just see myself riding home in the car with a marinated pork loin on my lap. Then we came to our senses.

We did come home with a plastic cup. It brought up memories of going to A&M football games and buying $3 drinks just to stock up on "china."

So, we survived the South Carolina State Fair. Despite all the warnings it wasn't to hill billy, redneck, or small town for us. Or maybe we've just turned country.

1 comments:

Anonymous October 27, 2006 9:17 PM  

They DID have fried coke at the Great State fair of Texas this year. I didn't get to go, thank you Aric (my boss, and I didn't misspell his name)

this'll be me in a few weeks though :-)

"...But today they'll gather 'round me
Like I've seen 'em do when any man retires
Then old Oney's gonna tell me
From now on I'm free to do what I desire ...

He'll present me with that little old gold watch
They give a man at times like this ...
But there's one thing he's not countin' on
Today's the day I give old Oney his.

I've been workin', buildin' muscles
Oney's just been standin' 'round a gettin' soft
And today about four-thirty
I'll make up for every good night's sleep I've lost ...
When I'm gone I'll be remembered
As the workin' man who put his point across
With a right hand full of knuckles
'Cause today I show old Oney who's the boss." - Johnny Cash - Oney

Stay Cool
-Matthew

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP