Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Great Camping Trip of 2006

Possible titles for this blog:

*How 'Bout Them Apples?
*Can You Feel Your Toes? I Can't Feel Mine.
*A Few Ashes Never Hurt A Marshmallow

Well, the great camping trip of 2006 is over. Danny and his friend, Kyle, planned this trip all by themselves. From borrowing gear and tents to buying marshmallows and oatmeal. Kyle's wife, Amanda, and I had no part, other than committing to participate in this outdoor endeavor.

Where this idea to spend the night in freezing cold whether originated - we have yet to discover. All I know is that Amanda and I were cooking our little hearts out in her kitchen trying to stock up on meals for the months, when our husbands came bounding in from the other room.

I should have known right then and there something was up. Danny's gait only has a bounce in it when he is up to something. Up to something crazy. Up to something that normal people would never even dream of doing.

The only times I've seen Danny bounce into a room were in the following instances:
* When he decided to build a very big ramp and jump his bike off of it into a river.
* When he woke Lauren and me up by throwing rocks at our window, and then proceeded to take me for a midnight ride on a scooter (his "hog) around College Station.
* When he has an idea that he knows he is going to have to work really hard to sell me on.

Anyways, back to the moment when Danny and Kyle arrived in the kitchen with more-mischievous-than-normal grins.

"We want to go camping!" they declared.

"Okay, you plan it and let us know what you come up with." Amanda and I replied, silently hoping that this was just another one of Danny the Dreamer's Dreams.

Nope.

Danny's confirmation name is Jude - Saint of the Impossible - also known as Patron Saint of Lost Causes. Why, why, why did he have to get pick that name? Couldn't he have picked - Saint of the I-Accomplish-Normal-Things?

No, my husband makes the impossible happen. He loves being a part of "lost causes." When everyone doubts him, he comes through with flying colors. Flying colors and a "Look, I did what everyone said I couldn't do" smile.

Want to pay off an impossibly large amount of debt in under a year? My husband can help. Want to fit an exorbitant amount of things into a incredibly small closet? My husband can make it happen. Want to do something crazy that no one in his right mind will do with you - like dress up as rednecks and go to a car race - my husband will be right there by your side, making the whole experience unforgettable.

So, last Friday, Danny and Kyle packed their things and headed up to Asheville. Now, Amanda and I, in our right minds, had checked the weather, and concluded that we would join the boys on Saturday night.

On Saturday morning we got the call that it had been a very cold night. Bring more blankets. So, on Saturday Amanda and I arrived in NC with reinforcements and a fresh batch of homemade trail mix.

We picked apples, played, and took pictures of the changing leaves.

We then made it to the boys' campsite and organized everything. We couldn't cook hot dogs while the chips were stashed away with the 12 pairs of socks we brought. Guys enjoy packing things by chuncking in the trunk. So, after sorting everything out, we enjoyed a junk food dinner (hot dogs, s'mores, chips, gatorade, and trail mix).

As the daylight faded our layers of clothes grew. Long under wear, leggings, jeans, sweatpants. Two t-shirts, a long-sleeved t-shirt, turtle necks, fleeces, and a sweat shirt. The game: how many layers can I fit on my body.

It was almost as funny as Chandler doing lunges while wearing all of Joey's clothes in that one Friend's episode (Kristi is probably the only one who will know what I'm talking about).

Despite the cold sleeping conditions, in which I almost got frost bite on my feet, hands, and nose simultaneously and feared that I was going to have to go through amputation, I would do it again! The air was refreshing enough to make you want to run a marathon right then and there. And the changing leave colors on the Blue Ridge Mountains made Columbia seem dull and flat.

On the way home we stopped by Aunt Sally's house to thaw out and regain our strength. She fed us well with bagels, bacon, fruit, juice, and coffee. As we warmed up and the layers came off, she was amazed that we were able to wear so many clothes at one time. I was amazed I still had any clothes left in my closet.

Overall, this idea didn't turn out to be so impossible, and it was pleasant enough that I would do it again. Maybe next time on the beach, in the summer, when it's hot!

As usual, if you've made it this far, you can see all the pictures at:

3 comments:

alisha October 18, 2006 3:41 PM  

I wanted to email you, but I don't have your email address!

Its fun keeping up with yall and encouraging knowing that at least one person is reading my blog & by the way, I'm so jealous that you get to move back to TX.

love, alisha

Kelly October 18, 2006 9:25 PM  

looks like fun!!! I LOOOOVvVVVEEEE fall here!!! i miss you, friend! we must plan some time together. and to answer your question, pigeon forge is about 1.5 hrs from here. hope to chat soon!

Sarah October 20, 2006 4:09 PM  

Laura,
Thanks for the comment on our blog! We do remember you! Looks like you guys are having lots of fun! God bless you!

The Seefeldts

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP