Monday, January 22, 2007

A Night Beautiful













.
There are very few things about corporate america that make me smile.
In fact, when I graduated from college the harsh reality of paying bills, writing the rent check, and working 8 - 5 with no break made me want to run right back to Texas A&M.
While working at BlueCross I've confirmed that I do not belong in the corporate world. I am too antsy to sit behind a desk - for just four hours. Dressing up every morning stresses me out. And dealing with policies, procedures and branding is enough to make my head spin.
However, last week Danny and I discovered the delight of being hard-working adults, for a large, nation-wide corporation. We felt very grown-up and posh as we enjoyed downtown Columbia.
BlueCross BlueShield SC hosted an employee event at the Columbia Museum of Art. Danny and I dressed up and enjoyed the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit, numerous appetizers and an open bar - from which we drank our share of ginger ale - all for FREE!
We were amazed at the tiny little brush strokes that looked so incoherent close up and yet turned into a beautiful painting a few feet back.
We were amazed that while Laura Ingalls Wilder was growning up in her little house on the prairie, Frank Lloyd Wright was designed furniture and homes that look like they belonged in the 1970s.
And, we were amazed at the budget that BlueCross had access to to through such a fun evening together for its employees.
Maybe sitting behind that desk every morning paid off after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous January 23, 2007 12:51 PM  

Don't tell me you didn't bring your camera with you?

Unknown January 25, 2007 6:37 AM  

Actually, I took a camera - but the left the battery at home. It was a sad, sad, night. However, pictures weren't really allowed in the museum anyways - so I had to resort to general pictures from the interent, in order not to post a picturless blog!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP