Sunday, October 12, 2008

Camping without a Camera

This summer, after I got tired of getting through security at the airport, we decided to drive Arkansas for a camping trip with my brothers, Matthew and Jonathan.

Thirty minutes into our mini-road trip I began furiously digging through my bags and purse, only to come up empty-handed and dismayed. I had forgot the camera. How could I forget the camera? I was sick the entire way to the campsite, and then we arrive, hopped out of the car, and realized that during the course of our 3 hours drive the temperature had dropped down into the upper-70s. I forgot all about the camera.

It was a fabulous outdoor weekend. On the drive home, in good "I'm the only girl in the car so I have to act like a mother" fashion I asked everyone to tell me some of the memories from the weekend so that I could blog about them.

I got a few grunts from Jonathan, Danny repeatedly saying he liked kayaking, and Matthew simply itching at his poison ivy.

I finally mustered the following highlights out of them:

  • Exploring the lake's nooks and cranies in a kayak (I added the nooks and cranies part).
  • Racing kayaks
  • Eating Matthew's homemade, dutch oven, slightly burnt peach cobbler (no matter, everything tastes delish when you eat it outside)
  • Biscuits, gravy, bacon and coffee in the morning for breakfast - those weren't burnt!
  • Slowly coming to the realization on the way home that all the boys had poison ivy and I walked away completely un-itchy!
  • Jumping off a rock/cliff into the lake
  • All four of us huddling under Matthew's fabulous tarp shelter that kept us dry while it rained the entire second day
  • Getting to rest and not do much of anything but play and eat and sleep
  • Snorkeling
  • Sleeping to the sound of rain on the tent
  • Danny and Matthew scaring off a raccoon who managed to weasel his way into our food tupperware container in the middle of the night
  • Joey making us the best s'mores ever - I think we all finally gave up roasting our own marshmellows and just put our orders in with Joey
  • Collecting firewood and seeing Matthew come up the hill dragging two small trees for kindling and feeling quite pitiful with my handful of twigs
  • Playing cards
  • Floating in lake
  • Amazing weather - sunny, but not too hot
  • Joey sleeping outside, under the stars, on only his sleeping bag the first night while the rest of us crawled into tents. It lasted for 10 minutes before Danny and I hear Joey yell and then scurrying into Matthew's tent. (He claims that a beetle crawled on him and pinched him. He'll have to post a comment in his own self-defense.)
  • Getting lost in some little Arkansas town just trying to leave the campgrounds

And that is how two Stillers and two Reeders do camping.

2 comments:

Anonymous October 13, 2008 12:20 PM  

ahhh, camping. I want me some of that!

christina October 17, 2008 11:17 AM  

I am pretty sure this post has made me miss home more than anything else yet! I am ever so slightly (okay, that is a huge lie) jealous!

I have to be a mother right now- I am the only girl here right now so I can. Marshmallow is spelled with two A's and no E's. I have had many a heated discussion on that topic over a campfire.

Ok, finished being mother!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP