Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Marathon Labor


Do you know that everyone compares childbirth to running a marathon?

EVERYONE - don't look at me like I'm being dramatic - the Bradley books, my birthing instructor, other moms/dads in our birthing class - EVERYONE.

I always keep my mouth shut.

None of them (espeically not the Bradley authors) know I've run a marathon. None of them know I wanted to quit half-way through. None of them know how many days I woke up sore afterwards.  None of them know that not even Pink and Lady Gaga could get me thru the wall at Mile 16. They all talk about the high you get after delivering a baby and say it's JUST like the runners high.
REALLY?! THE RUNNERS' HIGH?  (My voice doesn't get much higher than this!)

All I have to say is that birthing a baby had better be SOOOOOO much better than a runners high.

A little adrenaline combined with sweat, a stitch in my side, cramps in my legs and burning lungs (which I am already telling myself is NOTHING compared to childbirth) makes an epidural sounds pretty darn AWESOME right about now.

So, if you've run a marathon and delivered a child - I'd love to hear your comparison, your two cents, your thoughts on this analogy!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP