Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Entertaining a One-Year Old I - Using What You Have

I get quite a few questions asking what toys/activities I use with Cannon. I had to stop and think about what fills our days and started compiling all the resources, so I thought I'd share what works for us.

As I've pulled ideas together the list has grown, so I'll be splitting this into several parts: Using What You Have, Getting Out of the House, Activity/Busy Bags, Online Resources, and Books Full of Ideas.

First off, incase you haven't discovered what you already have, I think my cupboards contain some of the best toys.

  • Wooden spoons
  • Tupperware
  • Empty containers ready to be recycled
  • Colanders/strainers
  • Measuring cups 
  • Mixing bowls 
Cannon pulls all of these things out of my cabinets and they have provided countless minutes of entertainment, especially in a pinch while dinner is on the stove.

I save every lid to every container I throw away.  Cannon can't play with glass jars (obviously, but he can play with the metal lid).  Cannon loves exploring the lids, dumping them out, putting them away, and stirring them with a spoon.

I also save most plastic containers (coffee tins, any food items that come from Sams, etc.). Cannon is fascinated with taking lids off and putting them back on, using the containers as drums, and rolling them and chasing them around the house.

You might be amazed at how you can give your child the most ordinary object and they find them to be fascinating.

Any other household item suggestions that have made the best toys for your little one?

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP