Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 2012 Reading List

Okay, I'm back on the reading bandwagon. I haven't been able to read while nursing nearly as much as I did with Cannon. Cason chokes and gags on my oversupply of milk quite frequently, but hopefully things will even out and I'll plow through the stack of library books in my little nursing nook.


1.  The Wonderweeks by Hetty Van de Rijt

I rarely give a book one star (out of five). This book got one star. I was sorely disappointed in this read. I found it repetitive, uninformative, and very shallow. I was expecting to learn about growth spurts, developmental changes, how my child reacts to developmental stages and coping techniques. Every "wonder week" basically had the same information repeated in each chapter. At most the author informed me that my child would be fussy before/during each development growth spurt and that the best method of coping was to keep my child close and cuddle. I didn't finish reading this book. I tried, but at 450+ pages this was alot of the same stuff. There are much, much better books on development out there.

2.  The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears
At first I was very overwhelmed reading this book (the author even states at the very beginning that he's going to make things more confusing for parents), but also loved that for a book on vaccinations and medicine, this was very, very readable. At the end Dr. Sears gives a great wrap up and conclusion and offers some advice for parents in various situations (not wanting to vaccinate at all, wanting to vaccinate but concerned about the chemicals, etc.). It also helped that my doctor was open to discussing this book and even affirmed that it was a reliable read on vaccinations. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to know more about vaccinations, regardless of your stance on the to-vaccinate or to-not-vaccinate debate.

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP