Monday, March 25, 2013

A Motherload of Resources - Pregnancy

I've had several friends email asking for resources on pregnancy, childbirth, what to do with a newborn, breastfeeding, sleeping, and being a mom in general. 

Talk about a novel of an email I could send back. What is there NOT to say on these subjects. The internet abounds with mommy bloggers, parenting websites, and helpful (and not-so-helpful) articles and resources. 

So, I thought I'd pull all of my bookmarked links and helpful hints into one source for you. These are links that I've referenced in my own motherhood journey, read in preparation for a coming baby, and just found helpful overall. 

Again, everyone's different, so these things may or may not float you boat. This is just my opinion, my take on motherhood, and what's worked for us. I hope it's somewhat helpful.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My pregnancies were pretty smooth. A little nausea, alot of fatigue, and the normal amount of achiness and discomfort that comes with growing another human being.  I read and researched a ton about pregnancy and childbirth. There is no time like your first pregnancy to read. Once your little bundle arrives time will never be as plentiful as it is now.

My Original Book Recommendations haven't changed, but I'll list them again here.
  • Maternal Fitness by Julie Tupler
    If you're looking for ways to stay fit during your pregnancy this book is a must. It has some great exercises for staying strong and avoiding diastasis (a split in your abdominal muscles), which is much better to prevent than repair.
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
    If you're considering a natural/unmedicated birth, read this one.
  • Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake
    If you only have time to read one book, this one is a must. It will give you a great overview of different birthing options. Believe it or not, I didn't know the difference in a doula and a midwife until I read this book. 
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
    Again, a good book on all the things to consider about the birth you want.
  • Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon
    We chose to prepare for childbirth using the Bradley Method. This was the best Bradley book I read. It had helpful techniques that I used for both of my boys' births.
Questions for you to ask your doctor/hospital/birth center:
Resources for your last weeks of pregnancy:
Exercise During Pregnancy:
After two babies, my abs feel like they will never recover. I wish I would have been more diligent about doing core-strengthening exercises during my pregnancies, as well as in between, to help prevent some of the weakness/diastasis. Make sure you do your research though - crunches and planks are not the answer for a pre-natal/post-partum mommy.

Pregnancy Resources I enjoyed:
  • Pregtastic Podcast
    I listened to and learned about every topic under the sun thanks to this podcast!
  • Mama Birth
    This is the blog version of "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" - birth stories galore.
  • Spinning Babies
    Save this resource for tips and tricks for turning a breech baby.
And if that isn't overwhelming enough, then check out What I Would Do Differently (for my next pregnancy).

Happy Pregnancy Mama! Love it - it's going to fly by!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP