Friday, March 09, 2007

Let's Dish

As already posted, I have discovered that I love to cook. Who knew? I surely NEVER volunterily welded a spatula in the kitchen growing up. And in college I ate things like 88 cent Tostino's pizzas and Hot Pockets. And I've probably took 10 years off my life with all the cheese I've snacked on.

Needless to say, I now love cooking, planning meals, saving money, clipping coupons, food shopping, etc, etc, etc. I love sitting down to a healthy meal with Danny.

The only problem now days is that we're busy. Busy. SHOCKINGLY busy!

Jobs, youth, travelling, housework, working out, friends, and more fill out our days, evenings, and nights! Where am I suppose to find time to cook dinner?

And then my friend from church told me about a place called, Let's Dish. It's my new favorite store in the ENTIRE world! It has to do with cooking and organization. Could it get any better than that?

You sign-up online, go to the store, don a stylish apron and bandana (see picture below) and start assembling meals.

They have all the ingredients laid out for each meal. You simply go up to the table, grab a bag or foil pan, and measure out everything you need for that recipe. Slap the cooking instruction label on and stick it in the freezer, and you're ready to make another dinner. In one hour I had 12 meals (3 servings each) ready to take home.

Here's Allison, Rachel, Jaime, Me, Amanda, and Kristi all ready to dish!

Allison and Amanda reading the cooking instructions for a recipe before getting starting.
Rachel and Jaime dishing it up!

I made the following delicious recipes:

  1. Chicken Crostini
  2. Cheesy Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups
  3. Tomato Chicken Chili with Cheesy Cornbread
  4. Chicken with Artichokes in White Wine Sauce
  5. Linguine Shrimp Scampi
  6. Orange Beef Stir Fry & Rice
  7. Parmesan-Crusted Pork Chops w/ Glazed Carrots
  8. Pork Tenderloin with Chile Apricot Glaze
  9. Portabella Beef Stew
  10. Sweet & Spicy Cashew Chicken
  11. Thai Marinated Flank Steak
  12. Tilapia with Lemon, Limes & Almonds

We had so much fun assembling our meals, they even served us drinks and snacks while we dished, in case we got tired and needed a break! And Danny and I have thoroughly enjoyed eating the meals. So far, the first five have been delicious. It's so fun to come home from work at night and not stress about what to cook for dinner or worry about standing in the kitchen chopping onions until nine at night. Now, we're sitting down to a full meal in 30-45 minutes! It's wonderful.

And, just for the fun of it, here is a picture of my freezer after stuffing all 12 meals in there! If only I could rip out that silly ice maker, I could fit so much more food in there!

5 comments:

Anonymous March 09, 2007 8:36 AM  

Awesome. My mom and I were looking into one of those a couple weeks ago. Then we decided to get adventurous and use our own recipes and make our own meals. Results: Last Friday night we planned our meals and wrote down a shopping list. Saturday morning we went shopping for all the ingredients and from about 12:00-5:00 we cooked, cleaned, cooked some more, cleaned a little, my little feet were a little sore but in the end we had 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meals! It was fun to actually cook some recipes that were my favorites growing up but never actually cooked myself. Glad you had fun and that you're saving time! Nothing like having a good home cooked meal ready for you that's already been made.

Chris & Kristi March 09, 2007 9:09 AM  

That's such a neat idea!! I've never been to one of those, but I think there might be a place like that near our house. I might have to check it out!

Yes, Johanna is getting married. June 30th, in Austin, to Drew. She met him at church in Boston (he was her Bible study leader). I've met him once, and I am SO happy for her!!!!!!

Rachel March 09, 2007 9:50 AM  

I've always wanted to do something like that, but wondered if it was really cost-effective to go to one of those places. Instead, I've been making double of things and freezing one for later, now that the boy is getting into everything. Anyway, your freezer looks remarkably like mine! I'm pushing for a separate freezer in the garage, maybe someday...

P.S.-I love your new haircut! I've always wanted to grow mine and donate it, but by the time it is 6-7 inches, I'm getting headaches from all the weight and off it goes! Way to go, Laura.

gara hill March 12, 2007 2:36 PM  

When you get to Texas, there is a place called Super Suppers. It is the same concept - yummy!

Anonymous April 03, 2007 8:30 AM  

I can weld, Keith can weld better, and Papaw could weld two aluminum cans together. But I bet even Papaw never welded a Spatula.
-Matthew

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP