Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Locks of Love

The goal was reached and it was time.

All of my hair was cut off two weeks ago, but a fabulous hairstylist here in Columbia.

In college I changed my hairstyle every few months. Permed & curly. Short & spiky. Long & Layered. I think I've tried it all.

However, at some point, while growing my hair out for the wedding, I decided I should just keep growing it to donate to Locks of Love. Locks of Love takes donated hair and makes wigs for kids with cancer. It takes three donations just to make one wig. One donation must be at least 10 inches long.

Ten inches was the goal.

Here is what 10 inches looks like, actually this is over 10 inches, but I wanted to have a little hair still left on my head, so I grew it longer.


Every morning it took me a fist-full of shampoo, another fist-full of conditioner, and 30 minutes of blow-drying just to get my hair ready for the day. There were three options for styling: pony tail, braids, or simply nothing. It wasn't fair that I half my day "doing" my hair and when I got done it didn't even look like I had "done" anything. Sheesh.

And so it was time. Time to cut it off!


Equipped with my picture of Jennifer Aniston and her eternally perfect hair, Danny to provide more support, and the camera to commemorate the event I was ready to lose some weight in hair.


Eleven in less, this is what I looked like. I loved it. This was the best weight-loss, time-saving program ever. I think I lost five pounds, and I can not get ready for work in under 30 minutes (from bed to car).

The middle school kids on my bus decided that I looked prettier with long hair. (Can you believe kids these days? At least pretend you like it). BUT they decided that since I donated my hair so someone else could look pretty, that that fact made my new haircut look pretty too.

And so, that is the two year chronicle of my hair.



Not be left out of the hair-cutting saga, here are some pictures of Danny's crazy hair before purchasing new clippers.























And, here are the "after" pictures. Cutting hair was quite the adventure for us. We made a huge mess. And I even cried once, thinking I had messed him up completely (I was having an emotional day to begin with, okay). As, you can see, it wasn't a total disaster.














Here we, are after haircuts, still smiling:

5 comments:

Anonymous March 06, 2007 8:26 AM  

Woohoo~ You now look older laura.

Rachel March 06, 2007 9:53 AM  

It looks great! Good job with Danny's hair. I've been cutting Thomas's since we started dating (it was a prerequisite of his). It gets easier!

Kelly March 06, 2007 5:21 PM  

way to go, girl! feels great, huh?

Chris & Kristi March 07, 2007 9:09 AM  

aw, yay! you look gorgeous in your new style!! I donated my hair in January, and you're right - the time it takes to wash and dry my hair is incredibly quick now!!!

D.O. March 12, 2007 10:53 AM  

so cool! We sure do know a lot of the same people for never having met. Thanks for showing you face. I like your style, and your husband.

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP