Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

Mother's Day weekend started off so normal.

Lynn and Joe came over Saturday morning (after we set the fire alarm off trying to bake the bacon) to enjoy Danny's friench toast and my mom's Orange Julius smoothies. We took pictures. We reminisced. We laughed. It was a fabulous Saturday morning.
And then somewhere in the conversation Danny slyly mentioned, "Bike (motorcycle) week starts today in Myrtle Beach."
There was a pause, and then Joe replied, "I need to go to Myrtle Beach to see one of my sales reps."
And then there was an even longer pause.
We all looked at Lynn.
"You want to go to Myrtle Beach for Mother's Day?"
Three hours later, and we were taking pictures like this:
And this:
Well, if you know my husband at all you know we didn't just go to the beach, not will all those motorcyles flying around town. And that is how we got this picture:

Danny was in hog heaven. It was just like the motorcycle shows he sees once in a blue moon when we visit someone with cable television. Danny would move to California and VOLUNTEER with the Orange County Chopper guys if he could. Bike week is a whole different culture, and if you've never experienced it, well, you just don't know what you're missing.

Here's everyone laughing, probably because some girl had just walked by with less than underwear on. See, everyone loves everyone at bike week. Men with hairy backs and beer bellys are free to strut around with no t-shirt. And women three times my size can enjoy sporting string bikinis. No one cares. It's free for all.

And it was almost more than my eyes could bear. I am not called to be a biker's wife.

And, for your viewing pleasure, let me show you South Carolina at it's finest:

Can you tell what that is? If you guessed a couple sitting outside their mobile home part in their golf cart, then you are CORRECT! Apparently bike week is great entertainmnt, and people with golf carts get front row seats. They just putt their little carts out to the side of the road and sit - watching all the motorcycles ride by. Counting how many people we saw sitting by the road in golf carts was almost as fun as the motorcycles themselves. You have to love small town entertainment.

On Sunday we were back to normal "Mother's Day" activities with brunch at the country club.


Unfortunately for Danny, one day of bike week was all I could handle. So, he's back to watching motorcycles on tv and dreaming of the day when he can road trip it across the country with his bride on the back of his very own working motorcyle.

FYI: Danny has a motorcyle. Surprise, surprise. Most of ya'll didn't even know. Fortunately for me and my nerves it hasn't worked since the day he bought it off of eBay (when he was still single). It has sat in the repair shop ever since we moved to Columiba, and it will probably get moved to Texas with us, where it will once again sit in a shop. Now, that's my kind of bike.

To see all the pictures, go to: thestillers.shutterfly.com

2 comments:

Anonymous May 17, 2007 1:20 PM  

How could I have forgotten about Danny's motorcycle fetish?! I remember when he bought his on ebay. I'm with you - I like it in the shop!

Before y'all officially started dating, didn't he show up on Dartmouth on a motorcycle (or was it a moped) and take you for a ride? Seems like I remember something like that :)

Love ya!
Susan

Unknown May 21, 2007 8:10 AM  

Yea - when we were partners Danny woke Lauren & I up by throwing rocks at our window and then taking me for a ride through Wolf Pen on a moped. I should have been forewarned then!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP