Thursday, June 14, 2007

Excellent Wife - Chapter 1

Have you ever tried to read a book and you just couldn't get through it?
I've tried to read "The Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace three times now. Once when Danny and I were dating, once when we were engaged, and once after we were just married in Greenville, SC.

Somehow it never clicked. Maybe as a dating/engaged woman I just couldn't relate, wrap my mind around the concepts, or apply the scripture to my life - although it would have helped tremendously if I could. Maybe the title at times was overwhelming, as Satan filled my head with lies that I could never be "excellent," especially at being a wife.

So, for the fourth time I am picking up this book, and this time, through prayer and desparation, something is clicking. So, wives, can we just talk candidly? Sometimes being a wife doesn't always feel like peaches and cream, sugar and spice, and everthing nice. Sometimes being a wife is cuddly and romantic and dreamy. But here's what the Lord is transforming in my life.
"For in this way
in former times
the holy women also,
who hoped in God,
used to adorn themselves,
being submissive
to their own husbands."
- 1 Peter 3:5

God's will for every Christan wife
is that her most important ministry
be to her husband.
- "The Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace, page 4

And the Lord God said,
"It is not good
for man to be alone.
I will make a helper
fit for him."
- Genesis 2:18

And there it is. My purpose in life. To be a helper to my husband.
For the last year and a half I've despaired. I've cried over leaving TruLife, thinking that my one chance to do something I love, feel called to, and find purpose in was over. I've resented my jobs in Greenville and Columbia. But I can stop looking for the perfect job. I have a lifelong calling to love and serve my husband - that is my purpose for the rest of my life.
I need to learn to develop my ministry as a godly wife.
Talk about some dependence on the Lord. He's the only one who's going be able to mold this sista' into a godly wife.
But, take heart, Laura, there's so much hope.
We know that our old self (my old way of being a wife) was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
- Romans 6:6
So, no matter how bad a wife I have been, not matter the mistakes I've made, there is forgiveness and freedom. Freedom from that old bondage, old emotional baggage, old habits. Just because I've been one way as a wife does not me I'm stuck that way. Thank goodness we are never STUCK when we have the Lord.
I do no need to fear the word "excellent,"
because it is just my responsibility
to "learn to put my confidence
in the faithfulness of God and His Word
- to do what He says."
- "The Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace, page 6
His divine power
has granted to us everything
pertaining to life and godliness,
through the true knowledge
of Him who called us
by His Own glory and excellence.
- 2 Peter 1:3

And that is why I can have hope. God has called me to something, and He will give me everything I need to do it excellently. He has provided everything I need for this life.
Show me all the lies that I'm believing
I desire to live in truth, no matter what the cost
Shine Your light upon the darkest places hidden in my heart
Consume my thoughts
Cuz I know You desire to set me free
With truth undending
And it gives me hope
Cuz I know You can do more than I believe
So I'm depending
On You alone
Show me all the idols I bow down to
I desire to live in truth no matter what the cost
Shine Your light upon the darkest places hidden in my heart
Consume my thoughts
Cuz I know You desire to set me free
With truth undending
And it gives me hope
Cuz I know You can do more than I believe
So I'm depending
On You alone
"Truth Unending" by Ross King
(off the "To Make God Famous" album)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP