Saturday, April 05, 2008

Gilmore Girls Marathon

I'm about to tell you reason number 281 "Why I Love My Husband." Now, there is not a list, so don't go clicking around the blog. I haven't really kept count up to 281, but I'm sure I could make a list that long if given a few minutes.

Danny is so loveable because he pours his creativity and outgoing personality into everything . . . even my very girly parties.

Some of you may not know, buy November 13, 2007 was not just my birthday, but the release of the final season of Gilmore Girls on DVD.

I have been patiently waiting until just the right moment to complete my Gilmore Girls collection, and the set finally went on sale at Target! I'm so dedicated to Lorelai and Rory that I wanted to treasure their final moments at half the price.

So, in honor of Gilmore Girls coming to an end, I decided that I must have a movie marathon.

15 hours of Lorelai's wit and Rory's quick pop-culture references.

Friends were invited, menus were planned, and Danny made a sign for the door.

If you haven't seen Gilmore Girls then some of these references will be completely lost on you. Just know you're missing out and some delightfully wasted hours in front of the tv and you are welcome to borrow any of of the seven seasons any time.

After proudly hanging his sign and declaring our apartment the official "Luke's Diner," we retrieved Miriam from the front gate.

I must pause to publicly apologize, because I am the worst of friends and have now left Miriam waiting, stranded, and lonely outside of our apartment all because I forgot to turn my phone on to hear her calls of "I'm here!" (You cannot even enter our apartment building to get near our front door without a key - welcome to Dallas friends - so poor Miriam was just on our front mat - she was on the street.) So, on this particular day, dejected Miriam waiting on the front step with her pillow, blanket and fruit salad feeling quite like the homeless outcast.

We each picked a Gilmore Girls character for the day, and even attempted to call each other by our "stage names." Danny was the best in character.

Laura, Miriam, Jenna, and Erin (left to right). Both Miriam and Erin worked through the ENTIRE six seasons, borrowing them from me and returning them just in time for the other to watch them in order. Jenna was the brave Gilmore Girls virgin and willingly endured and enjoyed her first and longest Gilmore Girls watching! She was hooked in a minute.

Danny, in character as Luke, made us FABULOUS chocolate chip pancakes, little smokies and coffee - an authentic Luke's Diner meal - but unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

We then proceeded to match Lorelai and Rory in their junk food eating abilities. Red Vines, cheetos, chocolate, chips, and cokes. Jenna even went to two stores to track down Malomars, but alas, the trans-fat-filled cookies were probably banned from store shelves years ago.


Miriam was not shy about enjoying BOTH chip bowls at once.

When our eyes got tired from staring at the television we played on the computer:


Painted our nails:

Took turns trying to finish the crossword puzzle:

And took pictures of inanimate objects:

We even took a break halfway through and walked up and down Swiss Avenue, trying to burn off one million calories and stretch our legs that ached from sitting/laying too much. It did little good.

Miriam brought a delicious fruit salad, but the little bit of health could do nothing to offset all of the sugar and MSG we were putting into our systems.

Danny made us homemade pizza and also ran out to grab some drinks (do you think we interrupted the 15 hour marathon for a drink break - THERE WASN'T TIME!), and no sooner had we slurped down the last of our Sonic drinks, than we busted out the tums.

I kid you not.

We were literally moaning to each other, until Danny just brought the Tums to us. We laughed at our self-inflicted pain as we passed around the blue bottle.

Have noticed yet how amazing my husband is? I say, "Can I spend the day on the couch, watching tv and eating junk?" And not only does he say, "Okay!" He cooks for me, serves me, and doesn't say "I told you so," when I complain about my overfilled tummy.

Finally, slowly, one-by-one the Gilmore Girls' fans bailed to their own homes . . . until just Jenna and I were left - stubbornly determined to make it to the end. I told you Jenna was a quick convert to the Gilmore Girls clan.

Unfortunately sleepiness and tummy aches caused us to shut down the marathon just five episodes from the end. (They are the worst episodes of the entire seven seasons - so it ended up being okay).

I called Jenna the next morning, in the midst of my sugar hangover, and complained to her about how icky I felt. She concurred that we had not been very wise in our food choices - BUT reminded me that we could kick ourselves back into shape at spinning class that week.

Danny and I laughed at how silly I'd been to think we could get an entire season into one day and decided that a single movie themed night be be fun next time - and a little more reasonable.

All-in-all it was a much needed day for me with girls - with my real live friends - not Lorelai and Rory. I went to bed having enjoyed how many random and fun conversations we squeezed in between eating, watching, walking, and eating some more. I would eat my way to a stomach ache for 15 hours for some genuine fellowship and bonding any day - although next time I suggest a 15 hour marathon centered around a vegetarian tv show and we'll all bring raw goodies to munch on!

2 comments:

Jenna April 07, 2008 7:51 AM  

I'll bring the Cheetos flavored tofu...

Anonymous April 09, 2008 12:08 PM  

That day was a blast, seeing all the food in the pictures did cause my stomach to turn at the thought of eating that much junk food again. Let's do a movie night next time, and I agree, veggies would be better.

Miriam~

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP