Saturday, January 17, 2009

Football for the Young at Heart

One of the things we almost ALWAYS do with my family is play football and baseball during their respective seasons.

At Thanksgiving my Dad drags us out to play at the parent's vs. youth game at church, although I'm not really sure how we keep getting invited - no one in my family has been a youth for at least three years. Dad must "know" people.

Another tradition that's starting to form is the "Day-After-Christmas Football Game with Greg."

Greg is my Dad's oldest friend . . . that I know of. And it's not "oldest" as in Greg's 99. It's oldest, as in they knew each other in college at ASU. They did everything together: football, baseball, coaching little league, hunting, camping, etc., and they LOVE to tell theirs kids about their adventures.

Greg lives in Arizona, but every other year he comes to the DFW area for Christmas with his daughter and now football with my Dad.

I took quite a few pictures, but can show you exactly what happened in just three. The game entailed:

the young guys running around (and I can't resist the urge to point out to you that Matthew has the exact same expression on his face as when he was shooting Joey with an animal slingshot on Christmas Day!)
the "older" guys standing and talking
or Greg laying on the ground.
Again, I see everything (my kids are going to hate me - nothing slips by) and I have proof that Greg does whatever it takes to win - even eavesdropping on the very sophisticated plays being drawn on Joey's hand.
The mascot of the Reeder/Heck Football Championship.
The winning teams - and yes, they both won because they tied. It was the safest way to end the game, although, apparently by Danny's facial expression he didn't agree with the outcome.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP