Saturday, October 16, 2010

Post-Pregnancy Running

I have logged numerous hours running on Swiss Avenue. I've run in the cold, in the heat, in the wind and in the traffic. I've been in the best shape ever, and I've had a baby bouncing on my bladder.

But nothing, NOTHING, could have prepared me for running with this post-pregnancy body.

There are things other moms don't tell you about - and for good reason.

All of my insides moved around when I was pregnant, and someone forgot to give them the memo that they were suppose return to their original locations.

For one, my lungs have ceased to work in rhythm with my legs. Running and breathing use to flow seamlessly in sync. Now I heave and gasp and clutch the stitch in my side.

And my legs, don't even get me started on my legs. I assumed that getting up and down off the floor with a 12 lb baby was the equivalent of doing some major squats every day. But apparently not because my quads went on strike with no word of when they'd be back. I started running and my legs had the gall to seize into tight wads of messy muscle.

Do you know how your abs pretty much melt away as your pregnant belly grows? As in POOF, they're gone. Forget sitting up or rolling over in bed. Naturally, I assumed that after having my baby my abs would reappear. Well, they've forgotten that they were suppose to come back after my stomach returned to it's original state. You try running with no ab muscles and see how far you get.

Speaking of the abdominal region - there's the little gift that pregnancy leaves behind. It's called a jelly belly. And it jiggles when you run - throwing you off balance and distracting you from breathing. And because my lungs aren't working right in the first place I can't afford any distractions.

Throw all of these lovely factors together and an activity that use to be such a mood enhancer for me has turned into more a beat down. But fear not, because the days are beautiful and the playlists on the iPod are new, and my Baby Jogger and I will find that running rhythm once again.

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP