Monday, August 01, 2011

July 2011 Reading List

This was the month of reading apparently. I signed up for the summer reading programs at the Allen and Plano libraries in the hopes of winning a few gift cards for dates nights. So, I was motivated to check those books off the list!

22. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
What a fascinating and disturbing read. I don't know what I was expecting, but this book was much more intense and sad than I was prepared for. I started the Hunger Games series out of order simply because I've been on the waiting list at the library for Book 1 for WEEKS. I was able to get the 2nd and 3rd books much easier - so off I started. I think I got the gist of Book 1, but I'm ready to read it and put a few missing pieces in place.

23. The Little Hands Art Book by Judy Press
This book had great ideas and suggestions for art projects for preschoolers. They were a little advanced for where Cannon's at (1 year) so I'll definitely be referencing this again in the upcoming years.

24. Play and Find Out About Math by Janice VanCleave
This book was a great resource for fun, little activities to introduce math topics to preschoolers. Again, too advanced for Cannon at 1 year, but definitely a worthwhile resource in the upcoming years.

25. The Complete Resource Book for Toddlers and Twos by Pamela Byrne Schiller
A very thorough resource of pre-planned, themed activities for toddlers.

26. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Another fascinating and dark read by Suzanne Collins. It doesn't really end the way I want it to end and over all the story is much more dark and sad than I expected, but it was still enthralling.

27. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
This might be the saddest book I've ever read. Like most other readers, I couldn't put it down. I had to find out what happened to Michel, to Julia's baby, etc. It didn't have the ending I wanted at all, but then again, sometimes that's the reality of life. The book did spark my interest in finding out more about the effects of the Holocaust in France.

28. The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
I loved this book. I felt like it was such an encouragement to mothers - a reminder that motherhood is hard and exhausting, but Clarkson's reaching the other end and can testify that it's worth it. I appreciated Clarkson continually pointing the reader back to the Word as her source of strength and wisdom. She also places a huge emphasis on taking time to have a relationship with her child - enjoying the small things of the day and listening to what's important to them.

29. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This is the most captivating and disturbing series I've ever read. It's such a sad book, yet somehow the author hooks me with the emotions of the characters and I can't turn away. I definitely wouldn't want my teenager reading these books until they were in high school.




  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP