Thursday, September 01, 2011

August 2011 Reading List

Well, as much as July was the month of reading, apparently August was not.

I read one book. I blame it on trying to get through Swamplandia the entire month (for book club). I read that book every night and just could not get interested, so finally, after making it halfway I just decided it was not for me and moved on. But it was too late to salvage the month.

Here's to reading a few more books this month . . . outdoors . . . in the cool weather!

30. I Will Carry You by Angie Smith
Words can't describe the tears that flowed while reading this book - I probably should not have read it while pregnant. It's touching, encouraging, sad and authentic. It's a great resource on grief and an encouraging work on trusting God no matter what our circumstances.

Since I have no more book reviews for you this month, I'll leave you with a few favorite thoughts from "I Will Carry You."

. . . and prayed for the Lord to sustain me. For trust in Him despite the fact that I felt horribly, maddeningly betrayed. That is the beauty of His love for His children. Even as our hearts rage within us, He stands, ever present, and embraces our pain. (88)

The Lord I have placed my trust in tells me that I will see my child again, and while He stands beside me, He weeps. He doesn't weep at the barren ground, nor does He mourn the browning branches. He cries because I can't see what He can. (106)

Regardless of whether or not He had saved her [Mary's] brother [Lazarus], she would have worshipped Him. She loved Him because of Who He was to her, not what He had done for her. She had put her full trust in Him, and that is why she spilled the bottle at His feet. (123)

Jesus was aware of His fate as well as Mary's role in the preparation of His body. She, however, was acting out of an urging of the Holy Spirit. In other words, the God of the universe had chosen Mary to anoint the body of HIs precious Son . . . And she had no idea. (125)

He may wait to come to you because He is withholding a blessing in order to give you a better one. (127)

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP