Monday, June 16, 2008

Danny's New Car

Some of you know that Danny was recently in a car wreck. Something involving a big dump truck and blocked stop sign.

The damage didn't look too bad on his little Toyota Camry, but being that we drive cars that were made when we were in middle school, it doesn't take much for the insurance company to say it's time to retire them.

And so we said goodbye to the trusty little Camry that had taken us from NY to SC and finally to TX.

We are now in the process of car hunting. It's painful. . . .ly funny at best.

My newest money saving hobby is riding the bus and driving efficiently, so I'm dying to get a car that gets 50 million miles to the gallon and will last us through seminary - at least. With any luck, I'm thinking we should find something that we can pass on to our first child on their 16th birthday. And no, there's not even a first child in the works yet.

Danny's really the one that's been doing all the leg work, though, when it comes to finding a new car. He's been scouring the internet for a steal and so far he's presented me with the following options:

A jeep wrangler:

and a 1972 Karmin Ghia:

Now, a soft-top Jeep Wrangler was my dream car from before I could drive all the way through college. But now that I drive a Jeep Cherokee and have the pleasure of emptying my wallet at the pump every week, so while it would be fun to have the OPTION to off-road, I'd rather not double our gas budget.

And a 1972 Karman Ghia? You should be proud of me when I say that this did not even shock me. Almost three years of marriage to Danny Stiller and that fact that he wants to buy a car 10 years older than us didn't even make it onto the "freak-out" radar. In fact, I can practically picture the thrill Danny would get driving this car to work at 3 am - it might even make going to UPS potentionally pleasant.

But where are we going to find the parts when it breaks down? Yea, he hadn't thought of that either.

So, we need to find a very gas-efficient car for me that has some major "cool factor" for Danny.

We'll let you know who wins.

And, if you know someone who's selling a car - let us know!

2 comments:

Anonymous June 16, 2008 8:28 PM  

10 years before you were born? Man am I old. Those cars are 8 years younger than me. I do like the Karmin Ghia. Now, I do have a '99 Chevy truck for sale. It has the big mamma 5.3 liter V-8 and gets about 17 mpg. 400 miles will cost about $80 or so. Now my Honda Fit goes about 300 miles for about $35 or so. In all seriousness, try and get a small car. We had a Geo Prizm (aka Corolla) that we should not have gotten rid of. My goal was 30 mpg in the city, I get about 33-34 with the Fit. I will keep on the look out for any good, smallish used cars. Good luck with the car search.

All Things Morris June 17, 2008 7:54 PM  

Laura,
We know of a great place to buy an extremely affordable used car.. if that's what you are looking for! The place is called Auto Locators of Texas and it's in Plano. Check it out!
-Katie

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP