Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How to Make a Quiet Book: ABCs/Alphabet Page




About Julia:
My name is Julia Kimball and I am a 24 year old stay-at-home mom. I am married to my wonderful husband, Robert and we have a little boy, Caedmon, who will turn one on January 3. I blog about our growing family on my private blog, Building Engedi. We currently find ourselves in Waco, TX but anticipate a move soon due to Robert's job. He works as a project engineer for Archer Western, a general contractor, and I am blessed to stay home with Caedmon. We love to be outdoors, whether it's running, biking, hiking, or simply enjoying God's beautiful creation. I also enjoy reading, quilting, cross-stitching, baking, and spending time with others.
How to Make the ABCs/Alphabet
Quiet Book Page


Supplies: 
Found at both Hobby Lobby and Joann's
  • 2.5 yards of Pellon Peltex 70 Extra Firm Stabilizer cut into 20 8.5 X 10 inch sheets
  • 4 sheets of black stiffened felt
  • 2 packages Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick Fusible Web
  • 7 packages Sew-ology hook and loop stick-on white velcro dots
  • 1 Chaco Air Erasable Pen
  • 4 Silver Sharpies
  • 2 packages Colorations Felt Letters (found at discountschoolsupply.com)
1. Cut pellon into 8.5 X 10 inch sheets.



2. The pre ordered felt letters were too flimsy to use by themselves, so I decided to back them with stiffened felt. I traced the footprint of the colored felt letters onto cardstock, and then enlarged the area by 1/8 inch all the way around, thus creating a black outline. I then cut each letter out from the cardstock.

3. Using the cardstock templates, trace the letters onto the stiffened felt with a silver sharpie and cut each letter out on the inside of the traced line.



4. Peel one side of the Steam-A-Seam and place the colored felt letters onto the page. Cut the letters out.

5. Next, place the colored felt letters onto the corresponding stiffened felt background letter, with the Steam-A-Seam in between.



6. Iron together following the directions on the Steam-A-Seam package.



7. Now, on one page of pellon, mark where you want your letters to go. My husband made this grid to ensure that the letters were even. I simply punched holes in the page and where the letters should be. I was then able to quickly place the grid page over another page and dot with the air erasable pen.



8. Place a Velcro sticky dot on each mark. I used the rough side of the Velcro for this part.



9. Next, place a smooth Velcro sticky dot on the back of each letter.



10. I had to trim some of the Velcro because the dots were bigger than the letter itself.



11. Finally, place the letters onto your felt page.

Disclaimer: Ideally, I would have sewn the Velcro onto each letter and page, but that was not feasible when making 20 pages. I do recommend that for anyone making just one or two pages at a time. It would definitely hold up better under the wear and tear of little fingers. Also, using iron on letters would speed up the process but price got me there. Enjoy!



Up Next: Gum Ball Counting

Missed a page? Check them out here:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP