Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to Make a Quiet Book: Clothes & Clothesline



About Taylor:
My name is Taylor and I am a stay-at-home mom to our eight month old little girl, Vera. Scot, my husband, is a CPA and lovingly lets me indulge in all of my crafty adventures. When I'm not being a momma, I'm a professional photographer. I keep a current blog of all my latest shoots here. Scot and I both graduated from Harding University in Arkansas and are loving our life here in Lewisville. We are very involved at Prestoncrest Church of Christ where I currently teach the nursery class. As far as what I like to do for fun, I love all kinds of crafting, especially sewing and scrap booking.

How to Make a Clothes & Clothesline
Quiet Book Page

Supplies:

Joann's: 
  • 2.5 yards of Pellon Peltex 70 Ultra Firm one-sided fusable Stabalizer (cut into 8.5 x 10 in pages)
  • 2.5 yards blue cotton material
  • 1/2 yard each of light pink, magenta, brown, blue, and green soft felt
  • 5 yards of thin grosgrain ribbon
  • light blue, white, and brown thread
Things I had around the house:
  • rotary cutter
  • quilting mat
  • paper
  • pencil
  • pins
  • scissors
Inspiration:

I looked at several quiet books but used this post for my inspiration. I knew that clothespins were out of the question (I kind of see them as a choking hazard), but I still wanted the clothesline look. Because I wanted to add more pizzaz to my page, I decided to use colorful ribbon as my "clothesline." I also wanted to avoid velcro, thus the basket concept in the inspiration quiet book was perfect for the look I was going for!

Page Assembly:


1. Cut the Pellon and the light blue cotton into 8.5 x 10 in pages with a rotary cutter on a quilting mat.



2. Iron on the light blue material to the fusable side of the Pellon



3. Create paper templates for the grass, tops and bottoms, and basket. For the grass and the basket, you'll need as many pages as your making. For the clothing, I made an outfit for a boy and a girl. You'll need to cut double of each article of clothing. I created the pattern using the template that is on the paper doll page that Jenny created.



4. Using a zig-zag stitch, I sewed down the grass as well as the edges of the cotton material onto the page.



5. Sew on the ribbon in a diagonal along both edges across the page.



6. Sew on the basket around the sides and edges. You need to make sure to leave the top open for the clothes to fit into.



7. I then sewed around the edges of each article of clothes. You don't have to get as fancy with the stitching on the outfits as I did, but I basically made sure the felt was double layered for durability.



8. When you're finished with all the sewing, tuck the outfits into the pockets! Felt will stick to felt like flannel graph. These outfits are meant to be played with alongside the paper doll page. Enjoy!



Up Next: Shoe Lacing

Missed a page? Check them out here:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP