Friday, December 23, 2011

How to Make a Quiet Book: Road Map (Part 1)





About Aletha:
I'm Aletha and I don’t have a blog, though everyone tells me I should since I have a degree in English and love to write! I am married to an amazing man, Mike, who is a personal trainer (and my personal trainer as well!), and we have a baby girl named Marchesa who will be turning 1 in January.  Before having Marchesa, I worked on campus at Dallas Theological Seminary, the school Mike graduated from this past August.  I always told him that when he graduated with his Master’s degree, I would graduate from work…and I did just that last January. I now stay at home and take care of Marchesa. I love reading fitness and fashion blogs as well as shopping, making clothes, running, working out, biking and cooking.


How to Make a Road Map
Quiet Book Page - Part 1

Supplies:

Jo-Anne Fabrics: 

  • 2.5 yards of Pellon Peltex 70 Ultra Firm Stablizer (cut into 8.5x10in pages)
  • 2 yards of bright green felt
  • 2 yards of gray felt
  • Green, gray, black, and pink thread to match my felt colors
  • Bright yellow thread for the road lines
Michaels:

  • 1 page of black felt
  • 5 pages of pink felt
  • 1 page of forest green felt
  • 1 page of dark brown felt
Inspiration:

I didn’t use many blog resources for my page, except for the road design from Sean & Jenny Ricks Blog. When I was assigned the road page, my first question was, “How can I add some girl into a page that could seem all boy?” I thought about making a pet store, but being the overachiever that I am, it probably would have had to have little fur animals on it, and since I had to make 20 by a deadline, that just wasn’t going to happen. So naturally, I decided to put a mall on the page. Isn’t that where every young child, boy and girl alike, *wants* to go? I basically just created as I went, and ended up with my page.

Page Assembly:

I was so focused…I forgot to take pictures of my steps! However, it’s pretty self-explanatory.

Step 1: I started by cutting out all 20 pieces of Pellon. I used a piece of paper that I cut into 8.5 by 10 inches for both the Pellon and green felt cutting.

Step 2: I then *sewed all of the green felt backgrounds to the Pellon.

*Note: My genius husband, with his engineering mind, asked me, towards the end of the project, “Why didn’t you just sew all the pieces on to the felt and then sew the felt onto the Pellon so that you didn’t have to keep sewing through such thick layers?” Hmm. That would have been a better idea, and I may have saved myself from a lot of unnecessary anger towards my sewing machine, that horrible bobbin, and a few broken needles. So that’s my (his) advice for doing this.

Step 3: THE ROAD
I used my 8.5 by 10 sheet of paper to draw a road. Jenny was doing the right side of the road, so we decided to have our roads be two inches wide and meet at the bottom, and then two inches up at the middle. With that in mind, I measured out a road design on my template and cut it out so I would have a pattern piece.

Step 4: I cut out all 20 of my road pieces using the pattern I made, and then sewed them onto the green backgrounds.

Step 5: THE MALL
I cut out the mall pieces out of individual sheets of pink felt (I got 5 per page) and then sewed them onto the background.

Step 6: THE LETTERS
I grabbed my scissors and just started making M’s, A’s, and L’s from my black sheet of felt. The M’s were easier than I thought…the A’s…not so much. And the L’s were a cinch. I threw out a lot of them, but still managed to get 20 of each letter from the single sheet of felt and still have leftover felt.

Step 7: I sewed the letters onto the pink mall.

Step 8: THE TREES
I cut out large, medium, and small circles for the trees so that I would have 6 per page. I did the same with the trunks, and sewed them on with single stitch down the middle.


Step 9: THE DETAILS
Add details. I wanted to add details to all 20 of the malls, as I did on the one page, but I just couldn’t get it done in the amount of time I had. So some additional things to add to the mall would be little black cut out pieces of clothing and shoes, and doors or windows.


  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP