Friday, December 23, 2011

How to Make a Quiet Book: Road Map (Part 2)




About Jenni:
My husband, Chris and I have been married for 3 incredible years. He is just an amazing, thoughtful man, and I can't believe he decided to marry me most days. I worked for a small restaurant consulting firm creating marketing plans for restaurants nationwide before the economy tanked and I was out of a job. Luckily, we got pregnant with sweet Vera almost immediately after that, and made the decision that I should stay home. I so glad we did, because when Chris's health took a turn for the worse this summer, I was blessed with the time to redefine our lifestyle- most importantly, I had to relearn to cook all over again without the use of gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, and processed sugar. All that to say, I spend most of my time in the kitchen now, and when I'm not singing showtunes to our 11 month old Vera, I like to hop on my sewing machine and create. 

How to Make a Road Map
Quiet Book Page - Part 2

Supplies: 
  • Felt: Green for the background of the page, grey for the road
  • Felt: Blue for the carwash and garage
  • Tulle for the inside of the car wash
  • One curly shoe lace (I found mine at Payless)
  • Embroidery Thread and a size 3 needle to do all hand stitching
  • Pellon Peltex 70 Ultra Firm Stabilizer
  • Double sided iron on interfacing (Wonder Under)
  • Single sided fusible interfacing (Pellon Jas Val-u-fuse) 
Page Assembly:



1. ROAD MAP
I first cut out my green background and templates of the car-wash, garage, and road. I hand stitched my road using thick embroidery thread. I did not sew the piece of road on to the green felt where the carwash was going to go. (You want to stitch both pieces on together)



2. CAR WASH
I attached fusible interfacing to the back of the felt to add some structure. 




3. Using my embroidery machine, I wrote the word "carwash" on  that piece of felt (If you don't have an embroidery machine, try using embroidery thread and sewing it by hand), then cut it into a 5.5"x2.5" rectangle. I made a quick stitch with my sewing machine down the long sides of the rectangle just to reinforce it.



4. To make the carwash's insides, I hand stitched 3 layers of tulle to the back of the carwash. I alternated a white piece, a blue piece and another white piece, and those pieces were all cut into approx. 1.5" squares. 

5. Lastly, I stitched I tucked the ends of the carwash under the road and stitched both the road and the carwash onto the green felt at the same time. 



6. GAS PUMP
I embroidered the word "gas" on a piece of blue flannel that had some Wonder Under ironed on to it. If you have never used Wonder Under, it's pretty awesome stuff. You can iron it onto one piece of fabric, let it cool, then peel off the paper backing and iron it to another piece of fabric. A few reinforcing stitches and voila! You're done. The Gas pump was made entirely using pieces of scrap fabric I had laying around and Wonder Under. The 'pump' itself was a curly shoelace that I bought at Payless Shoe Store. I cut it short, tied a knot in the end, then poked it through both the green felt and the gas pump. I thought putting it through the green felt would help to reinforce it. Lastly, to add a little extra protection and to keep the knot from being pulled straight through and detaching, I made a small stitch by hand to keep the pump attached to the green felt. 



7. GARAGE
The garage was nothing more than a pentagon with fusible interfacing ironed on it to help it keep its shape. 

8. My final step was to attach the green felt to thick pellon to reinforce it. I made a simple stitch with my sewing machine around the edges of the page. This got a little tricky where the page was thicker (like at the garage) so after breaking 2 needles, I went and bought a heavy duty needle and heavy duty quilting thread. After that, I had no more problems. 



Up Next: Bead Ladder

Missed a page? Check them out here:

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP